Wednesday 7 May 2008

Germany and sports

This Sunday I went to see a handball game at the University. I was invited by my colleagues in the handball practice, as it was their last game in the league. For all the people that don't know, handball is the second most popular sport in Germany, after football obviously. And since my homework could wait (me grinning...) I went to see the game. The game itself wasn't really attractive, more kicking than playing (just like in Romanian football), but what amazed me was that the place was almost full and people were actually enjoying the game and the atmosphere. And we are talking about a seventh league game.
After the game the teams went out together and had a beer and a wurz (national food aka sausage). This was even more surprising, to see the home team invite all the people to a beer and a grilled wurz after the game. I actually found out when discussing with the others (people notice me easily here because I am the only one that speaks English :D) that the trainer of the team went to Iasi and he liked it. I really felt like in a real sporting event. It was like going to a show, not for a beating with some other guys. :)
One thing I noticed a lot here is that people don't smoke packed cigarettes, but they tend to have their own equipment for rolling some joints. I guess they prefer smoking what they know. And, anyway, who cares about smoking when you have a white beer in front of you?! :D The ultimate joy: white beer and wurz.

No comments: